Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Just Cause - Donate Life America

I'm sitting by my window watching the snow come down and it reminds me of another night many years ago now when there was a big snowstorm in Kansas. A girl I didn't know was in a car accident that sadly ended her life. At the same time, I was in Colorado - so sick that without a liver transplant, I would not live for more than a handful of weeks further.

Because that girl in Kansas had made an altruistic decision to help others, even those that she necessarily would never know, she registered to be an organ and tissue donor. Because she had shared her decision with her family, they were able to authorize the doctors to proceed with donating her organs to those in need.

My doctors called me and let me know that a donor had been found and that I was to come into the hospital to get prepped for the transplant. I had been on the waiting list for eleven and a half months and my time had come. Ten hours and 50 units of blood later, her generosity saved my life. I was dying and now I'm not, all thanks to one girl's gift.

Donate Life America assists in mobilizing the transplant community to educate the American public on the need for organ, eye and tissue donation and motivating the public to make an actionable donor designation. The organization publishes brochures, program kits and other materials; provides technical assistance and referral services; coordinates the national campaign for organ, eye and tissue donation; identifies measurable best practices and leads the Donor Designation Collaborative. It is comprised of national organizations and 47 local affiliates across the United States that coordinate donation related activities at the grassroots level.

They can always use financial contributions, assistance with promoting organ and tissue donation, in-kind donation of time and resources, and your participation in their national and local events. But really, more to the point, aside from urging you to consider helping them with their mission I strongly urge you to consider registering for organ and tissue donation and sharing your decision with your friends and family. Your one gift can save the lives of many.

For more information please click on the Donate Life icon on my site or visit http://www.donatelife.net/

Thanks -

No comments:

Post a Comment